Thursday 7 February 2008

Well, that's better...


After the trauma of the HMIe visit - don't get me started - it was fantastic and quite uplifting to go to today's PE inservice day at Inverness Royal Academy.

As part of my PGCE PE course I'd been introduced to the, for me, revolutionary thinking of Richard Bailey, and I'd heard him speak at the launch of the PE course. His thinking around problem-solving based learning have impacted on my whole approach to teaching, not simply in PE so I was excited at the prospect of hearing him speak again.

Anyone who speaks "common sense" is always, I think, worth listening to and even more so today when my spirits were in need of a lift following the last three and a half hectic weeks. Prof. Bailey didn't really add anything new to my knowledge today but rather he did something which for me was far more valuable - he confirmed that (in his opinion) what we're already doing is good stuff and fits in to the findings of huge swathes of research across six continents. Always nice to be told "good work, keep it up" - if it works for our learners in school then why not for us as teachers?

Also good was the vast amount of interesting stuff going on around Health Promoting Schools which it turns out will shortly come under the "Health & Wellbeing" agenda of ACfE - on whose outcomes we had what was, to be blunt, a rather dry presentation. Oh well... it was nice to have a chat with the Development Manager, Louise Jones, about how all this stuff should perhaps aim to be more firmly embedded rather than being a box-ticking "add-on". More common sense.

Mind you, difficult to get information across in a short space of time when there's so much to say.

Of less excitement, perhaps, was the continuing absence of any real commitment on the part of Highland Council in relation to implementing the "Secondary based - primary focused" model of PE delivery, in spite of the (seemingly) successful pilot in the Fortrose area.

Watch this space?

1 comment:

Louise J said...

Great blog Bryan, I'm just about to publish my perspective on the day which I agree was uplifting. I didn't get in to see the Health and Wellbeing outcomes workshop though. Docs in the post to you as promised! louisejones@edublogs.org